Monday, May 27, 2013

Rhossili Bay

I had the opportunity to visit Rhossili Bay while I was in Wales. It’s a beautiful place: tall green hills stretch along the coast, dropping sharply to a wide sandy beach that sweeps along the coast and fades into the surf. At the northern end of the bay, a massive rock outcropping protrudes above the water, a verdant island in the chopping surf. 

On the southern end abrupt cliffs abruptly rise above the pounding waves. Out past these cliffs is Worms Head: a string of rocks reaching far out into the sea. At low tide, you can hike out to the end.
Flowering gorse splotched the entire scene with brilliant patches of yellow against a backdrop of grass, sand, sky, and water.
The day I was there was overcast, but warm, at least for Britain. The wind whipped about in a manner fit for the rugged scene: I read it was a great place for kites, and I believe it.

Everywhere you went there was evidence of the wild ponies and sheep that inhabit the region (the pony population is evidently a bit of a problem). And the sheep: well, they grazed and frolicked, jumping and kicking their heels on the cliff edges in a way that… well, I wouldn’t last very long if I tried those gambles… But they keep the grass clipped at a perfect height: in fact I’m thinking I’ll get a couple instead of a lawnmower.

No comments:

Post a Comment